Featured Post

3 Cost Effective Ways to Solve Metro Manila's Traffic Problem

Image
The Facebook page of ANC 24/7 is asking for its reader's suggestion on how to solve Metro Manila's traffic problem.


This got me thinking, "what is the best way to solve Metro Manila's traffic problem?" It's easy to make suggestions, what's hard is the implementation and the cost of implementation. So what is the the best way to solve Metro Manila's traffic problem and the most cost effective solution?

Punitive Fines
First of all, any implementation will definitely cost money, a lot of money. The cause of the traffic mess is the people themselves so it's only right that those causing the traffic problem should be fined and the fine should hurt. That way, the fines will pay for the cost of enforcing the law.
The fines should start at P500 and goes up every week if you don't pay it within 15 days. To enforce this and prevent people from ignoring the fine. It will be tied to their driver's license or car registration. They cannot renew their d…

Hostage-taker killed as crisis ends

From the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

===================

MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE 6) It’s over. The hostage crisis that gripped the world for at least 10 hours Monday ended with at least three people killed, including the hostage-taker, and 17 survivors, according to reports culled by INQUIRER.net.

The body of dismissed Senior Inspector Rolando Mendoza was recovered inside the tourist bus that he took over in Manila about 9 a.m. He was taken to Ospital ng Maynila. Also taken to the same hospital were seven of the hostages, five of who are alive and two dead.

Five – one in critical condition and one dead – are at the Manila Doctors’ Hospital while one confirmed dead is at San Juan De Dios.

Mendoza who was charged with drug-related offenses, took over the bus with 22 Chinese nationals and three Filipinos and demanded his reinstatement into the force.

Aside from Mendoza, two of the hostages were also killed although Metro Manila Police Director Leocadio Santiago in an interview with CNN refused to confirm this.

Santiago said there were 17 survivors – nine having been released by Mendoza earlier on Monday and eight walking off after the police had secured the bus.

Reporters at the scene saw five hostages come out alive, one was unconscious and three were dead, including Mendoza.

In a separate press interview, Superintendent Nelson Yabut who was part of the 30-man assault team said they were initially unable to enter the bus because Mendoza had the hostages lined-up and leaning on the bus windows.

“He [Mendoza] used them as a shield,” Yabut told reporters. He added that they also had to pull back during the downpour.

Yabut said Mendoza was standing at the back of the bus and ran towards the front after seeing members if the assault team trying to enter through the rear.

“Parang tatakas [It looked like he was attempting to escape],” Yabut added.

A sniper opened fire at Mendoza who was hit on the right temple, Yabut said.

Before this, Yabut said Mendoza also fired back at the assault team and hit a policeman on the head although he survived the attack.
===================

Full story at the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manila - The most Beautiful City in Asia 1950's to the mid 1970's

Philippine Business Monopolies

Gretchen Fullido