Featured Post

3 Cost Effective Ways to Solve Metro Manila's Traffic Problem

Image
The Facebook page of ANC 24/7 is asking for its reader's suggestion on how to solve Metro Manila's traffic problem. This got me thinking, "what is the best way to solve Metro Manila's traffic problem?" It's easy to make suggestions, what's hard is the implementation and the cost of implementation. So what is the the best way to solve Metro Manila's traffic problem and the most cost effective solution? Punitive Fines Add caption First of all, any implementation will definitely cost money, a lot of money. The cause of the traffic mess is the people themselves so it's only right that those causing the traffic problem should be fined and the fine should hurt. That way, the fines will pay for the cost of enforcing the law. The fines should start at P500 and goes up every week if you don't pay it within 15 days. To enforce this and prevent people from ignoring the fine. It will be tied to their driver's license or car registr

Health and Nutrition

Ever since I was tested for high cholesterol 2 years ago. I've been doing a lot of research on diet, nutrition and exercise.

2 years ago, I was 120 lbs, I was a size 30 and my LDL was over the limit as well as my total cholesterol. While it may not be considered bad (yet), as the doctor said that I could control it with diet and exercise. By the way, I'm 5'2" so that puts into perspective my weight and the size of my waist.

I chose to do something significant and change my lifestyle.

Here's what I did.

In 2006, before I started exercising, I changed what I ate. I reduced my serving of rice from 2 to 1. I ate more "ulam" or what you serve with rice such as the meat, fish and veggies. I am mainly a meat person so this was a bit difficult in the beginning.

I usually didn't feel full after eating this way so added fruits afterwards to get my fill. Doing this for a couple of months helped lower my cholesterol in about 3 months to normal levels. But after I was checked to be better, I pretty much went back to my old habits of eating everything.

Six months later, I had another blood test and it was back to the same result. High cholesterol, high LDL and low HDL. I finally decided, that's it. Complete lifestyle change and exercise.

I changed my carbohydrate intake. I still eat white rice, but I ate a oatmeal everyday (thanks to my wife to makes it every morning). I also changed from white bread to whole wheat or multi-grain bread. I only eat one serving of white rice at lunch or dinner. But I ate more vegetables, salads and fruits.

I still eat meat but I reduced my red meat intake to about once or twice a week. My source of protein is either one egg, tuna or chicken. I do eat the skin, but I should stop or reduce it.

I eat a large (for me) serving of salad at least 3 times a week. I also learned to cook so I can control what goes in my food. I learned recipes from Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay and some other FoodTV shows or cookbooks. I only cook those that I think are healthy. Using olive oil, herbs and spices.

I don't believe in the no-carb diet. Carbs is essential of normal body functions. The trick is to eat the right type of carbohydrates. Don't eat simple carbohydrates like white bread or rice (I'm guilty of that). Eat complex carbohydrates like whole wheat bread or pasta (I do eat those most of the time now).

I also religiously exercise now. I used to exercise a lot in high school and college but almost completely stopped after. So now I'm back to my very active lifestyle.

So, I exercise daily. I follow a program that is a combination of strength, resistance, flexibility and aerobic exercises. I changed my diet to have more servings of fruits and vegetables. I avoid soft drinks and I no longer put sugar in my coffee.

Although I have changed my lifestyle, I'm not a Nazi about my diet. I do eat the occassional chips, ice cream or dessert. I eat steak from time to time as well. My idea of a diet is NOT to "Die" from it. So it makes no sense to deprive yourself all the time.

I still eat a lot, but not as much as I used to as my appetite has adjusted to normal levels. It was difficult in the beginning until I found the proper balance for me. I don't eat one fist of food, I eat a whole bowl of salad, two pieces of chicken and rice. So I'm not depriving myself. I just eat what I think is a proper serving for me but healthier choices. Basically, my diet is this, eat the right kinds of foods that you want, but in moderation. Don't ever eat. That's it.

So no donuts (except on a rare occassion), no sugary drinks like pops or bottled juices. I drink soda water if I want fizz, I add real fruit juice for taste. No sugar in my coffee or tea. Eat whole grain bread or pasta. More fruits and vegetables.

It's ok to eat cakes, donuts, ice cream, steaks and those kinds of stuff. If I do, I do eat it more than twice a week. And I eat less than a normal serving. So instead of eating a whole steak that you can buy from the grocery. I cut it in half and eat that half only.

I still get the satisfaction of eating what I want, but I control the amount.

So where am I now?

My weight is 110lbs, my waist size is 28", I sleep better, I don't get headaches anymore, I feel stronger, my muscle mass has increase and I have a six pack abs going to eight.

I went hiking and canoeing last week and I did not feel tired at all nor did I feel any sore muscles. I'm probably in the best shape I've been ever and I love it!

I haven't checked my cholesterol levels but I'm not too worried about it.

My only problem now is finding pants that will fit me since the smallest sizes seems to be size 29 or 30.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Planning TVC 2014

Is Piolo Pascual Gay?

Philippine Business Monopolies